Sunday, March 18, 2007

i was raised right


so the other day i was washing nezzie's hair and she was kind of fighting it, so i started singing, "i'm gonna wash that man right outta my hair" and the whining stopped and she became totally intrigued. so we started talking about south pacific because i had shown her the musical number portions of it before and i reminded her that it's the same one with the song "Dites-moi", which she sings on occasion. as we were walking from the bathroom to my room she started singing "gonna wash that man, outta my hair", and then she wanted to watch it, so i turned it on as i got her dressed. after she's dried and dressed she sits on my lap as we watched mitzi gaynor sing on the beach. she had this big smile on her face and was swaying back and forth and it was just one of those perfect mommy moments.

which got me thinking, "i need to raise these girls right!" which to me means watching cary grant movies, doris day movies, all versions of pride and prejudice, and all jane austen movies for that matter, steel magnolias, sleepless in seattle, south pacific, oklahoma (i still crush over gordon macrae when they are singing "people will say we're in love" in the peach orchard), meet me in st. louis, state fair, singing in the rain, anne of green gables and avonlea, and many, many more. not only are these movies wholesome and uplifting, but i have so many memories of watching them with my mom & sisters, and we are often quoting them as well.

so as nezzie likes to say, "girl power!" while raising a fist into the air, this is my form of girl power. dave is more than welcome to join us, as my dad did on several occasions. and these men we will never wash outta our hair.

3 comments:

courtneyb said...

I agree. And thanks for reminding me of these movies, I've totally forgotten about them!

Anonymous said...

dear inez,
we should play together sometime. i would love to wear aprons and shout girl power! with you. you sound like my kind of girl!
love, cate mccaleb

Anonymous said...

dear inez,
we should play together sometime. i would love to wear aprons and shout girl power! with you. you sound like my kind of girl!
love, cate mccaleb