Monday, March 26, 2007

un disastre

well, it's taken me three months to post this picture. i am finally ready to be publically humiliated and ridiculed (be kind). however, one may note that i am posting it on my blog and not the family blog that has much more traffic.

my little girl was turning three. i didn't want to do an expensive theme party for her. in fact the theme turned out to be just pink. pink ballons, pink plates, pink cups, pink napkins, pink tablecloth, pink, pink, pink (it looked like the room had been hosed down with pepto-bismol). well, what would go better with a pink party than a pink barbie birthday cake? we had seen them through the glass at the Target bakery and i honestly thought it wouldn't be that hard. i could not have been more wrong.

luckily this was a really small family party. you see, the people who saw this attrocity in real life were all close family...hubby, birthday girl, three month old baby girl, both sets of grandparents and my little bro & his wifey. these are the same people who tell you that you look good in a picture when you look terrible and fat. they had plastic-y smiles on their faces. it was a DISASTER.

here are a few of my theories as to why the cake failed:

i had NO idea what i was doing.
i tried to make it just hours before the party.
i ignored the instructions.
i thought i could wing it.
i didn't cook it long enough, thus resulting in a semi-raw center.
i frosted it while it was hot which made the frosting melt and run.
i had been watching too many cooking shows and not doing enough of the actual cooking that helps one become good at cooking=my total lack of grasp on reality.

the next day we ate the outside of it. my mom, saint of saints, complimented me at least twice that the outside was actually edible and really good.

but to this day, inez remembers that she had a pink party and a barbie cake (even though dave ran to the store right before the party to buy a replacement cake from the local supermarket bakery, which was entirely edible). i just hope she retains the three-year-old version of the party, where everything was just perfect and pink and she had her barbie cake.

9 comments:

Brooke said...

i'm so happy i can post comments now. first of all, i love your layout i am seriously having major jealousy issues.

and secondly, i actually HAVE a barbie cake pan. birthday number four, holly, that will be the time to redeem yourself. at least you tried though, and regardless of the outcome, i'm sure you looked as good as nigella and giada as you were making it.

Carina said...

Ok, this made me laugh so hard, forgive me, because your pain is my pain. Here's what the cake bakers never tell you: we experience disaster after disaster. I could tell a dozen hair raising tales. The truth is, we had similar problems, I've just figured out how to fake it ;)

My center completely fell as well, even though I totally followed the baking directions (I even have an oven thermometer.) The trick? instead of splitting the cake and filling it as I had planned, it got a really tasty cream filling in the middle--like a giant Hostess Ding-Dong, I guess. I knew that it wouldn't be tall enough, so I made an additional 8" round cake layer as a base for the domed cake.

Frosting hides a multitude of sins--a multitude. It is, however, always important to wait until the cake is completely cooled. You have NO IDEA how many times I've made that mistake--including once when I tried to use ice cream as a filling in a cake I could have sworn was cool enough. Live and learn!

courtneyb said...

sorry, got a good giggle out of it and I appreciate you posting it because I have always thought of making the barbie cake and now I know, I will never do it. Thank you for swalloing your pride and posting :)

Marilyn said...

Holly, your blog is ABSOLUTELY adorable. I love the pink scalloped template. So cute. You have excellent taste.

You are brave to post this picture, I have a few cake pictures that I will NEVER post. Too embarassing.

Just wanted to let you know, that I may be visiting your blog on a daily basis to see this adorable pink template. I am not stalking!

Holly said...

brooke- thanks. i may one brave day in the future take you up on your offer to use the barbie cake pan. i need to let my ego fully heal. and i think i probably looked more like ina than giada because this all happened pre w.w. :)

azucar- thanks for the baking words of wisdom. in the future i need to be able to improvise like you did. i also need to make it WAY before the party next time. i was in quite a time crunch. and i'm glad you had a good laugh, that's why i finally posted it! :)
p.s. good luck with the baby stuff. i was 6 days late with our first! it sucked. i feel your pain. may your labor be short and smooth.

courtney- don't let my failed attempt scare you off. your girls would love one, i'm sure!

marilyn- thanks for the compliments on the layout. i have to give all the credit to my husband who is a web & graphic designer. he made me my page, and has a really good eye for design. i am one lucky gal because without him i think i would be totally clueless about all things electronic!
and i don't mind you stalking, because i stalk blogs on a regular basis. i welcome all stalkers and/or lurkers, whatever term you feel most comfortable with! :)

courtneyb said...

BTW, what's going on with all your red dots on the map. You goin' worldwide girl!

Guh said...

I couldn't help hopin' that you'd show your pic of the cake! You've got guts girl! The picture TOTALLY MAKES THE POST!!! And THAT is the truth!

i i eee said...

What a great pic! I hope she remembers all of it -because I think the un disastre makes it all the more special. :)

Chelle said...

What a great story, and it wouldn't have been complete without the picture. Life is much better when you can laugh at yourself!

p.s. your blog layout is darling. so unique and creative. love it.